Thursday, April 10, 2008

Catch up entry on what's up with Aaron

Aaron is definitely keeping us on our toes these days. First and foremost, he’s been struggling academically this semester, specifically in the subject of Math. Standardized testing is scheduled for week after next. All 5th graders are required to take and score a minimum for Reading and Math sections in order to be promoted, or be required to take summer study classes to retake the standardized test at the end of these courses. We are a little concerned that Aaron will not make the minimum score in Math.

We feel we are doing everything right. Examples: he’s been in after school tutoring for Math twice a week for the last six weeks. His brother (you know, our young mathematician) has been checking over his homework papers, and going over mistakes with him. Apparently, when it comes to testing, Aaron gets a mental block. He rushes through to get through due to frustration levels. The last report card Aaron received, he had a 79 in Math. Since then, I would guess to say that it has slipped down even further. My question is this…how could this be the same child as the honor roll student of last year? Different teacher? Perhaps. But from having an “A” in Math to the fear of failing this year? I just don’t get it. Any suggestions?

Aaron is still loving soccer. He has become the team’s 1st string goalie. The teammates look to Aaron very respectfully. These two things combined have definitely helped his confidence level on the field this year.

I can hardly believe that my youngest son will be in middle school this fall. *He* can hardly believe it either. He’s growing up way too fast!

P.S. Just as a clarification...the person (Robbie) that I mentioned in my last entry is Michael's sister. My sister is the one I'm flying out to visit with and attend her son's high school graduation. I think I confused some of you. Sorry! :)

Until next time!

Next up…

Zack’s college search, and the latest discovery that we've made about funding the same.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I have a ton I want to say about this topic.I have to run out in just a couple minutes to get some errands done before the kids get home.
I will e-mail you about this soon!