Monday, November 12, 2007

Arrrrgggghh!!!

Hubby is at the doctor's office for a scheduled visit with the plastic surgeon as I type this, but the skin graft took a turn for the worse over the weekend. Over the last few bandage changes, we've noticed what appeared to be skin peeling off. Saturday night's change showed that most of the skin was just hanging loose around the edges of the wound. When I looked at it this morning, the hanging skin had turned black, so...not sure what that means, but he says he's not going to do another graft, and let it heal on its own. This may delay the physical therapy even further. We'll have to see what the surgeon says today. He also has an appt with the orthopaedic doctor tomorrow. Depending on what the doctor says today will depend on what the ortho doctor wants to do next.


I'm feeling very frustrated at the moment. We think we make 1 step forward, then we have to take 2 steps back. Michael is feeling very discouraged at the moment as well. Will update after the appt.


I'm going on a ladies Christmas shopping trip with our church this Saturday. For obvious reasons, at first I had decided not to even sign up to go. But I received a phone message from Michael's aunt Gail on Friday afternoon telling me that she wanted me to take a friend along, and enjoy the day. The message stated that she was going to give me some shopping money to shop for Christmas for my family. I was speechless! What a blessing this woman has been in our lives throughout the good times, and the bad!


Appt update:

Apparently, only about 30% of the graft took, so we'll have to take measures to prepare the exposed skin for healing on its own. The doctor told him that the ortho doctor can safely allow him to begin physical therapy. He was instructed to begin scrubbing it with soap and hot water every day to help promote healthy skin growth.

So...not as bad as we thought!

7 comments:

Tanya said...

I am thankful the news fromt eh Dr. was not as bad as your feared. I will continue to hold Michael and your family in my prayers.
Have a GREAT time on the shopping trip.After the last several months you have had, you deserve time and fun. Be sure to tell us all about it. :)

Tanya said...

I am thankful the news fromt eh Dr. was not as bad as your feared. I will continue to hold Michael and your family in my prayers.
Have a GREAT time on the shopping trip.After the last several months you have had, you deserve time and fun. Be sure to tell us all about it. :)

Kristin-Mom to 4 boys and 1 precious girl said...

I am glad the news was not as bad as you thought.
Have a great time shopping, you need a little fun time for yourself!!

Hugs and prayers always!!
I am glad you are posting again!! I have missed you!!

Kristin

armywifeandmom said...

Glad to see your posting again! Sorry to hear about your husband's accident and I hope he heals well. Happy Thanksgiving a few days early.

Anonymous said...

praying, praying for him, and thankful is wasn't as bad as it could be!

How was your relaxing shopping weekend? How precious was that???

Love ya!
Becca

formerteacher said...

Glad that things look better in regard to the skin graft. I am so sorry that you have had to go through so much with Michael and his accident. What a truly scary thing to go through for your whole family! I will be praying for you, you can count on that!!!
What a blessing that aunt is! It is as though God knew you needed this day, and now you're getting it with no guilt about spending money! I wish I could say something to you that would help, but only God can do that for your family. Michael needs to heal, work through therapy and then, God willing, get his old job back. It's hard dealing with so many unknowns, isn't it? I pray this all resolves itself soon!
BTW, did you throw out that bike and forbid Michael from ever riding one again:) Seriously, I am praying for you. Glad you're back!

Tanya said...

I can't wait to hear about your day of shopping! :)